So here is a potted update of the past 3 or so months...[ok, now it is just some of the past 5 or so months?]
After Plitvice (apparently it doesn't really need that accent thing on the c...but I like it so am not editing the previous post...also I am lazy...does that make me culturally insenstive?) I did some stuff. Some of the stuff included:
Zagreb- they have the worlds shortest funicular. You can walk up a couple flights of stairs up the side if you like. I did not do this. I did not ride it either. But I looked at it from the top. And looked down at it from the bottom. And thought to myself: "small".
There are also good ice cream shops.
And we took the dogs swimming in a quarry. Dogs. They like to swim.
As do I, folks. As do I.
Budapest- both Buda and Pest. It's pretty cool and you can get some cheap falafel. The Sunshine Guest house also had a ton of DVDs. Which was great when it was crazy freakin hot during the day. They didn't understand enough of trainspotting for the subtitles to make any sort of sense.
Walking tour- the guide used really WEIRD emphASIS in her RATHER loud SPPEEEch. Also pointed out some highlights that weren't really.
On the plus side, there is a brass statue of a horse that generally looks weathered, but has shiny brass balls.
Belgrade- had the triplets of Bellvue in my head the entire time. The fort is pretty sweet. And the walking tour didn't turn up.
Sarajevo- believed a hostelbooker "slightly too good to be true but not totally outside the realms of possibility" hostel ad. It was not that good.
City itself is pretty ok, old town is cool to wander around and eat eat eat.
They do not have, nor has anyone heard of, dark rum.
Mostar- awesome. Booked two nights. Stayed four. Hostel run tour made for good bonding with room/hostel mates.
Saw a snake in a lake, then swam there. Got underneath and into waterfalls. Became the centre of rainbow in the pummeling water and mist.
The guide/hostel guy was intense, with more than a few signs of post traumatic stress disorder following the war. Also there were bombs outside under the bench seat.
Saw a guy jump off the Mostar bridge into the river. It's an over 20m drop. I now know what my heart tastes like.
Went with a few people from the hostel to a "hip hop club". Was actually a youth group. There were about 8 locals there who could not grasp why we were there. We found it hard to explain. Turns out the hip hop was the following night.
Went rafting. Beautiful serene mine ridden scenery. I caught a yabbie. And rode down some rapids sans boat in my life jacket and helmet. That was kind of awesome.
Prishtina- a guy on the (overnight) bus let me share a taxi and use his loo and check my email before he commenced his day's work. Where else but Kosovo can you find people that nice?
Skopje/Ohrid- awesome. Lake Ohrid is lakey and lakelike. There was a lot of drinking. Some swimming. And I learned how to solve a rubiks cube. Also, Sarah Best has a 19 year old doppleganger.
Athens- Friends I knew before I started the trip! very hot. Lots of old stuff. The first time I have ever seen people inject heroin. On the street. In a gang.
A lot of Ouzo. Seriously. A lot. I was ill.
More friends.
Naxos- We saw a lot of cock on the beach. So much cock. We camped. We swam. And what not.
Santorini- rented quad bikes. No gears, no reverse. Thunderquads were go! Swimming pool at the hostel was cloudy. With what I suspect was the exuberance of youth.
Perfected backwards dolphin jumps. Tried to do underwater pyramids. Ate some ice cream. Did some bombs.
Lost Pinny.
Fethiye- more friends! They arrived in the middle of the night- and that was not a euphemism.
Butterfly valley- there were heaps of dogs! One was called happy dog (after happy dog the happy dog). Later his name changed to rapey dog. Swimming. Walking. Butterflies. Climbing up some rocks and waterfalls. Beauty. Trying to climb anchor ropes to board boats with interesting looking slides. Failing.
Place after Butterfly Valley- can't remember the name but we took a boat there and there was another cool dog. Arna ate a LOT of ice cream.
Kas- sunken city! Kayaks! Swimming on ru-eens.
Antalya- eating, shopping, leaving.
Glasgow- did not get locked inside Jane's house this time. Left for Tim's early just to make sure.
Played with Tim, didn't get to play with Niamh, did get to see Henry Rollins.
Edinburger- played with Pinny, did festival stuff, saw boylesque AND Burlesque. Ate. Got to sleep in an awesome cubby room. Practically padded with pillows and duvets.
London- six hour post sleepless sleeper train stopover. I remember now what it was like to sleep in a special little room. Not in a seat directly facing another person so your knees touch.
Further updates to come- I'll back fill as I go. Right now I'm in Zambia. Hung over, and psyched about having a massage this avo. I'll be in Africa until 17 Feb (don't really have much of detailed plan for what I am doing for the next couple months...will happily take suggestions for fun southern Africa stuff)...
Hugs for EVERYBODY.
and PS- I found Pinny, but I'll lose her again in a week or so...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment